- Never pour grease straight down your pipes. Grease will inevitably harden and build up over time, coating the inside of your pipes in a slick residue that will slow down the water flow and gradually build up until the pipes are blocked completely. Instead, pour the grease into an old can or jar and let it solidify. You can either then use it for cooking or, if you’d rather, simply toss it out.
- Milk and milk products are also potential clogs for your pipes. Always run the water when pouring them down your drains and leave it running for a minute afterwards. Undiluted milk can clog in the U-pipe under the sink, causing smelly backups.
- If you have a standard garbage disposal unit, always leave it running with the water on for a full minute after each use, to clear the pipes. If you don’t have a garbage disposal unit, then always use a drain catch and clean it after each dish washing session, to keep your pipes in optimal condition.
- In the bathroom sink, in the shower and in the tub, be sure to use a drain catch as well, as stray hairs and dead skin have a way of tangling in the pipes and causing nasty clogs resulting in slow drainage.
- If your drains should get backed up, call a plumber right away. Never use Liquid Plumber or other liquid drain clog removers. They corrode pipes and might not even clear the clog. If it’s bad, call a professional, licensed plumber to snake the drain clear for you.
So even though drain clogs can be a nightmare, it’s one you can avoid with a little know how. And remember, if your pipes should ever have a bad back up, always call a licensed, professional plumber.
Are you looking for Drain Cleaning services in the Lakeland area? Look no further than Samco Plumbing, call us today at (863) 509-1718.